Saturday, April 18, 2009

Einstein for Dummies


So I was watching the Discovery Channel or Nat Geo or some such cable learning station.  I wish I'd DVR'd it.  Anyway the topic was Einstein's theory of relativity (E=MC2).  

  I'd watched many shows dealing with this topic of the theory of relativity.  Now, I've always had trouble with spatial comprehension, and I'd watch these programs and come away frutstrated.  I felt that the plain practical meaning was just out of my mental grasp.  

The punch line was helpful:  space-time tells matter-energy where to GO, and matter-energy tells space-time how to LOOK.  Oh, and that time-space are bound together like a piece of fabric, with objects 'curving' or 'bending' the fabric, which explains gravity.  You can click here to see a brief video of this.  Matter and energy are bound together as well and are interchangeable when accelerated to the speed of light.

No comments: